Nadal wins damages of 12,000 euros over doping slur

Sports


LONDON (Reuters) – World number one Rafael Nadal was awarded 12,000 euros ($14,000) damages on Thursday after a French court found in his favor over comments made by the country’s former Sports Minister.

FILE PHOTO: Tennis – ATP World Tour Finals – The O2 Arena, London, Britain – November 13, 2017. Spain’s Rafael Nadal during a press conference after losing his group stage match against Belgium’s David Goffin. Action Images via Reuters/Tony O’Brien

Nadal announced last year he would sue Roselyne Bachelot after she made comments in a television interview suggesting he had taken performance enhancing drugs in 2012.

The Spaniard, who ended his season on Monday after losing to David Goffin at the ATP Finals, has vigorously denied any wrongdoing and said he would donate the money to a French NGO.

“As you can see in the media, today is a happy day for me, my team and my fans,” the 16-times grand slam champion said in a statement.

“The French justice has resolved the case in favor of my honesty and integrity as a sports player. I want to thank all of you who believed in me.”

Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Pritha Sarkar

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.



Source link

Articles You May Like

G20 agrees on final communique with reference to climate change
Sanders blasts Russia for reportedly trying to boost his presidential campaign
Trump says stock markets will crash if he loses election
On the trail: Democrats slam Trump’s coronavirus response
After a Four Seasons breakfast, Harvey Weinstein sent to dank New York jail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *